SUPREME PROJECT - SUporting maritime spatial Planning in the Eastern MEditerranean
Implementation of the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund Work Programme 2015 / Action 184.108.40.206. Project on Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP)
Duration of the project: 24 months
CORILA: Consortium for Managing Research Activates in the Venice Lagoon
Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (MIT)
Ministry of the Environment, Land and Sea (MATTM)
Croatian Institute for Spatial Development (CISD)
Regional development centre Koper (RDC Koper)
United Nations Environment Programme, Barcelona Convention Secretariat, Coordination Unit for the Mediterranean Action Plan (UNEP – MAP)
Hellenic Ministry of Environment and Energy (YPEN)
National Technical University of Athens (NTUA)
Panepistimo Thessalias (University if Thessaly( (UTH)
National and Kapodistriako University of Athens (UoA)
SUPREME project involves public authorities in charge of MSP, as designated by the Governs of four MS (SLO, IT, GR and HR), and the UNEP/MAP Barcelona Convention.
Supreme will focus on two key objectives:
- To supporting the implementation of Maritime Spatial Planning in EU Member States.
- To launch and carry out concrete and cross-border MSP initiative between Member States.
Project is composed of three work packages:
- C1: Implementation of the Maritime Spatial Panning
- C2: Management and coordination
- C3: Communication and Dissemination
In order to develop cooperation on MSP common objectives at sea level basin will be examined and mechanism for an operational network will be proposed. For a specific support for Member states implementation of MSP, a careful analysis and practical actions are foreseen on the following issues:
- Spatial demands for maritime sectors and related cumulative impacts.
- Data and information’s requirements for MSP.
- Tools and methods supporting MSP.
- Stakeholder’s involvement and participation.
- Definition of the most appropriate geographical scale for MSP plans.
- Coordination of sectorial policies.
- Land-sea interactions and relationships with ICZM.
- Five case-study areas will be considered and better focused at project inception. Regional development centre Koper is in charged for implementation of the pilot project at Slovenian coast.
One of the main outputs of the project is develop specific criteria and indicators to evaluate the MSP process at different scales and at different stages.